This warm spinach salad is plant-powered and has a festive flair with the green and red colors. Topped with dried cranberries and parmesan, the flavor is hard to beat!
I don’t know about you, but I am in a festive mood! I just love the holiday season and am so happy to share a festive recipe with you.
Today I have partnered with Have a Plant to bring to you a colorful warm spinach salad. It makes for a great holiday side dish with a mix of fruits and vegetables, and tons of flavor.
Health Benefits of Spinach
I love using spinach as a base for salads because it is a great source of the carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin, two potential anti-inflammatory phytonutrients. Spinach is also packed with:
- vitamin K
- vitamin E
- vitamin A
So you can bet this is a salad powerhouse and will help you feel even better at your holiday parties!
What is a Warm Spinach Salad?
You may be wondering what a warm spinach salad is. Essentially, instead of using all cold toppings, we use the fresh spinach as a base, then add on warm toppings. This also has dried cranberries and parmesan to really top off the flavor.
- Medium-sized sauté pan
- 12 cups fresh Spinach
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion
- 2 tbsp balsamic glaze
- 2 oz. walnuts or 16 walnut halves
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup fresh Basil
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup parmesan shredded
- Heat a medium-sized saute pan on medium heat for 1 minute. Place the olive oil and onions in the pan and saute for about 3 minutes, or until the onions become translucent.
- Add the walnuts and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add ½ of the balsamic glaze and salt and lower to a medium low heat. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the basil, stir, and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add the spinach.
- Add the warm vegetables and mix well.
- Top with the remaining balsamic glaze, dried cranberries, parmesan, and sea salt to taste.
Pair this recipe with the meal selection of the night for a nice change from your usual cold salad. If you want to make it a meal, enjoy it with a whole grain and a protein source.
Now it’s time for you to wow your guests by making this warm spinach salad and to see how great it looks in the holiday mix!