Beef picadillo is a traditional Latin dish that reminds me of home. So here’s a healthy version with lean beef, veggies, and whole grains.
You likely grew up with hamburger helper and I grew up with beef picadillo. They’re very similar, but this picadillo infuses some Latin-inspired flavors.
Plus, if you’re wondering how to choose the healthiest type of beef for dishes like this, read my article, “Is Beef Good for You? Key Facts to Know” I include key facts that I learned from a conference I attended in October.
Health Benefits of This Recipe
This beef picadillo is a healthy meal option with the combination of lean beef, veggies, olive oil, a whole grain, and a mix of spices.
- Lean ground beef can provide 25 grams of protein, while also offering valuable nutrients like iron, zinc, B vitamins, and selenium.
- The vegetables, farro, and herbs also offer powerful phytonutrients that have a range of health benefits.
- Farro is a whole grain with fiber that is good for gut health.
- Olive oil contains heart-healthy fats.
Healthy Beef Picadillo with Farro and VeggiesPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 cups cooked farro
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- One medium red onion diced
- 1 tablespoon crush garlic
- 1 pound of ground beef 10% fat or less
- 1 can 14.5 ounces no sodium added diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 cups mixed frozen vegetables peas, carrots, green beans and corn
- Prepare farro as indicated in the package. Set aside.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Place the oil, onion and garlic in the skillet and sauté for about 3 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and cook for about 8 minutes over medium heat
- Add the tomatoes and mix well. Add the salt, pepper, oregano and cumin and mix well
- Add the frozen vegetables and cook for another 5 minutes over medium heat covered.
Note: Use pre-cooked and quick cook farro, it cooks in 10 minutes
Tried and enjoyed this recipe?Mention @manuel.villacorta in your post or story!
More Beef Recipes to Try
If you loved this recipe, try these other delicious recipes with beef: