Cottage cheese is having a moment right now, especially in social media! And it’s no surprise why. So I’ve created a high-protein creamy cottage cheese pasta sauce with high-protein pasta to show you how to make a protein-packed dish.
I have been recommending cottage cheese to my clients for a long time and for a good reason. It is packed with protein and other nutrients to help with weight management and overall health. It’s also very versatile and can be served cold, in hot dishes or savory or sweet!
This is a great dish to make even when tomatoes are out of season since it uses tomato sauce and tomato paste, and it is a perfect creation for potluck gatherings during fall.
I’ve partnered with National Dairy Council to share the benefits of cottage cheese, with the most delicious cottage cheese pasta sauce recipe.
Benefits of Cottage Cheese
Before we dive into the recipe, let’s take a closer look at the star of the show – cottage cheese.
Cottage cheese is a nutritional powerhouse known for its high protein content. It also contains calcium, contributing to strong bones and teeth. Plus, it’s a great source of Vitamin B2 (riboflavin), which plays a valuable role in energy production.
When creamy cottage cheese is paired with high-protein pasta and a medley of veggies, it offers an impressive balance of nutrition and flavor.
The Perfect Pairing: Cottage Cheese Pasta Sauce
The ways to use cottage cheese are endless. You can mix it into a sauce like the recipe below, blend it into smoothies, pair it with fruit and nuts, and more!
I love using cottage cheese in this pasta sauce because it provides a creaminess that is usually only created with higher-fat dairy products. This makes the dish lower in fat, and higher in protein.
How to Prepare Cottage Cheese Pasta Sauce
This delightful sauce is not only incredibly flavorful but also easy to make. Start by heating olive oil in a large skillet. Add some diced onions and crushed garlic, and sauté them until those onions turn translucent.
Add a can of tomato paste, a can of diced tomatoes, and a can of tomato sauce. Don’t forget to sprinkle in some dried oregano for that extra kick of flavor. Mix it all up.
This is a great dish to make even when tomatoes are out of season since it uses tomato sauce and tomato paste.
Here’s where the magic happens. Transfer the tomato mixture into a blender, and now, the star of the show – 2 cups of cottage cheese – and a cup of 2% milk (I use lactose-free dairy milk). Blend it all until you achieve a smooth, creamy consistency.
Pour that creamy goodness back into the skillet. Add the shredded parmesan cheese, sea salt, and black pepper. Let it simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Take your chef skills to the next level and elevate the flavors by tossing in some sliced fresh basil leaves. Your Cottage Cheese Pasta Sauce is ready to shine!
What to Serve with this Cottage Cheese Pasta Sauce
Pour this creamy sauce over your favorite pasta (I buy the ones that are higher in protein). Whether it’s spaghetti, penne, or your preferred pasta shape, this sauce pairs perfectly with them all. Opt for legume pasta such as chickpea or lentil varieties for higher protein and fiber content.
Enjoy This Recipe at Gatherings
This dish isn’t just for personal indulgence; it’s also an ideal addition to potluck gatherings, especially during the cozy fall season. Be ready to share the recipe because everyone will be asking for it.
- Large skillet
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 teaspoons of crushed garlic
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste can
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomato
- 1 15 ounces can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 16 ounces 2% cottage cheese can use lactose-free
- 1 cup of 2% milk can use lactose-free
- 1 cup of shredded parmesan
- 2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh basil leaves
- In a large skillet heat up the oil then sauté the onions and garlic or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the diced tomato, paste, sauce, and oregano and mix well. At medium heat cook the tomato mixture for 3 minutes.
- Transfer the tomato mixture into a blender and add the cottage cheese and milk. Blend all the ingredients well until they’re a smooth creamy consistency.
- Pour the sauce back into the skillet, and add the parmesan, salt, and pepper, and simmer at low temperature for about 10 minutes. Make sure to stir the sauce a couple of times during this time.
- Add the basil leaves to the skillet and mix well.
- The Cottage Cheese Pasta Sauce is ready to serve hot over your favorite high-protein pasta.
Other Cottage Cheese Recipes
In this journey through the world of cottage cheese, we’ve uncovered its incredible nutritional benefits and brought them to life.
So now it’s your turn to make this Protein-Packed Cottage Cheese Pasta Sauce and Pasta, and explore other recipes with cottage cheese:
For more dairy recipe ideas and facts visit US Dairy.