This chicken and pepper stir fry is elevated with a Peruvian-inspired blueberry and ginger sauce. Explore new flavors by switching up your usual stir fry with this delicious dish.
As a Blue Crew ambassador, I have partnered with the U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council to share with you my latest recipe, EasyChicken & Pepper Stir Fry with Blueberry Ginger Sauce.
Peru is my homeland, so I decided to make a recipe that was inspired by Peruvian cuisine, in honor of the 2022 National Nutrition Month® theme, Celebrate a World of Flavors. Peruvian cuisine is known for featuring a blend of cultures, and this stir fry showcases Peruvian-Chinese fusion with blueberries as the perfect addition. Let’s look at why it’s beneficial to grab a boost of blue in your meals.
I love blueberries. Did you know that a one-cup serving of blueberries delivers crave-worthy flavor and beneficial vitamins and minerals, including four essential nutrients?
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin K
Blueberries also contain phytonutrients called polyphenols. This group of phytonutrients includes anthocyanins, plant compounds that give blueberries their beautiful blue color.
And, with 80% of Americans not meeting their recommended intake of fruit, blueberries are a simple solution. They require no slicing or peeling, and they are available year-round – how’s that for a win?
Simple Ways to Add Blueberries to Dishes
Blueberries, whether fresh or frozen, offer a delicious sweet-tart taste to complement a variety of unique traditions, global flavors, individual lifestyles, and can serve as a passport to exploring other cultures. They can easily be included in dishes like sauces, smoothies, and baked goods.
How to Make the Ginger Blueberry Sauce for the Stir Fry
Are you ready for my Stir Fry Chicken with Blueberry Ginger Sauce? Grab a boost of blue and get cooking! Start by making the blueberry ginger sauce. In a saucepan, heat the olive oil over high heat, then sauté the onion and garlic for about 4 minutes. Add the ginger, blueberries, water, balsamic glaze, brown sugar, sea salt and chili flakes.
Mix the ingredients and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
How to Make the Chicken and Pepper Stir Fry
As the sauce is cooking, let’s make the stir fry! In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil, then cook the chicken tenders, covered, for about 5 minutes per side or until the chicken is fully cooked. Then, set aside.
To the same skillet, add the onion, bell peppers, salt and black pepper, and sauté for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. Add the chicken, cilantro and as much sauce as you prefer back to the skillet and mix the ingredients well.
If you have any Blueberry Ginger Sauce left, use as a marinade for other protein sources, or even to boost the flavor of veggies throughout the week. You can enjoy this delicious stir fry with a whole grain. I love pairing it with brown rice, farro or quinoa.
Peruvian-Inspired Stir Fry
Lomo saltado, a beef stir-fry, is a very popular dish in Peru. It is inspired by Asian influences and is commonly found in the ubiquitous chifa (Peruvian-Chinese) restaurants as well as in many home kitchens. Here’s a crave worthy spin on lomo saltado using chicken tenders and a delicious and nutritious blueberry ginger sauce.
Blueberries and Weight Management
The natural sweetness of blueberries may help to combat sugar and sweet cravings. Blueberries are also a good source of fiber and can help you feel full and stay “regular.” Blueberries are deliciously simple, snackable and healthful and can seamlessly be incorporated into healthy lifestyle changes.
Chicken & Pepper Stir Fry with Blueberry Ginger Sauce￼Print Recipe Pin Recipe
For the blueberry ginger sauce
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon crushed fresh ginger
- 2 cups frozen or fresh blueberries
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup balsamic glaze
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes
For the chicken and bell pepper stir fry
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound chicken tenders un-breaded
- 1 large red onion cut into “sticks”
- 3 colorful bell peppers yellow, orange, red, cut into “sticks”
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In a saucepan, heat the olive oil over high heat, then sauté the onion and garlic for about 4 minutes. Add the ginger, blueberries, water, balsamic glaze, brown sugar, sea salt and chili flakes. Mix the ingredients and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- As the sauce is simmering, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and cook the chicken tenders, covered, for about 5 minutes per side or until the chicken is fully cooked. Set aside.
- Add the onion, bell peppers, salt and black pepper to the same skillet and sauté for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the chicken, cilantro, and the sauce back to the skillet. Mix all ingredients.
For more inspiration and recipes featuring blueberries, visit blueberry.org.