This combination of meat sauce and polenta is always a favorite of mine. The best part is that it can be done ahead of time and reheated during the week for a quick dinner or for a simple lunch.
Ingredients for Meat Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 pound ground beef 4-7 % fat
- 1 16-oz can tomato sauce
- 1 6-oz can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon oregano
Ingredients for Roasted Polenta
- 1 roll precooked Polenta* sliced into 1/2 inch slices
- cooking oil spray
- salt to taste
- garlic powder to taste
Directions for Meat Sauce
- Heat up a medium sauce pan on medium heat. Add the oil and let it heat up for 1 minute. Add the onion and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Add the ground beef and cook until the meat is brown. Make sure to stir around and break apart the meat. Do not let it form into chunks.
- Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste and oregano. Cook for 20-30 minutes.
Directions for Roasted Polenta
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray a 9×9 sheet pan with your preferred cooking oil spray. Place the polenta slices on the sheet try and sprinkle with salt and garlic powder.
- Place in the oven and let it cook for about 20-25 minutes.