Wow your friends and family at your next potluck or gathering with this meatless main that also works as a great side dish. Using tricolor quinoa and tricolor bell peppers provides a rainbow on your plate. Heart-healthy canola oil boosts the nutritional value in this recipe, having the least saturated fat and most plant-based omega-3 fat of the common cooking oils while adding vitamins E and K.
Serves: 6 Serving Size: 1 bell pepper
2 Tbsp canola oil 30 mL
1 medium sized red onion, diced
1 Tbsp garlic, minced 15 mL
1 cup tri-colored quinoa, uncooked 250 mL
1 cup edamame, frozen 250 mL
1/4 cup golden raisins 60 mL
2 cups low sodium vegetable broth 500 mL
1/2 tsp salt 2 mL
1/2 tsp ground black pepper 2 mL
6 bell peppers, different colors, tops removed
Canola oil cooking spray
1. Heat a medium sized sauce pan on medium high heat. Add canola oil and heat for 1 minute. Add onion and garlic and cook for about 2 minutes, or until onions become translucent. Add quinoa and stir around. Cook for 2 minutes.
2. Add edamame, raisins, broth, salt, and pepper. Mix together and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook for 10-15 minutes or until quinoa is cooked. Set aside and let it cool.
3. Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Spray a medium sized baking dish with canola oil spray.
4. Add quinoa mixture into each bell pepper. Line up bell peppers on the baking sheet and cover with aluminum foil. Cook for 40 minutes.
5. Remove baking dish from oven and remove aluminum foil. Place back in the oven and cook for another 20 minutes or until peppers are tender.