Who doesn’t love a nice, warm muffin in the morning? The only problem is, most baked goods are full of sugar, unhealthy fats and excessive calories. However, the muffins I’m going to show you how to make are not only low in sugar, but high in protein to keep you feeling satisfied. That means that these muffins are excellent for weight loss. The high protein promotes a feeling of satisfaction while the fiber promotes a feeling of fullness due to its ability to slow down digestion. They also make an excellent preworkout snack due to its carb content which provides energy and protein for your muscles. Finally, the dried fruits provides some moisture and antioxidants to start off your day.
To put into perspective just what a great addition these muffins are to your eating plan if you are going for weight loss, here’s a comparison: One of these muffins is only 180 calories while the lowest calorie muffin available at your local Starbucks is 450 calories. The calories in the Starbucks muffin is also coming from added, refined sugars and fats that are not ideal for your heart health.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick 1-minute oats
- 2 scoops vanilla protein powder whey, soy, pea, or rice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 medium ripe bananas mashed
- 1/2 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup 1% milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 dried prunes finely chopped
- 5 dried apricots finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Take your bananas and mash them well in a bowl.
- Add Greek yogurt and mix.
- Add oil (olive oil or canola oil are fine), vanilla extract, and two large eggs.
- Combine well with a whisk.
- Add milk and mix well.
- Set the wet mixture aside.
- Get a new bowl for your dry ingredients.
- Add flour, oats, protein powder, chia seeds, sea salt, and baking powder.
- Combine well.
- Add the dried fruit into the dry mixture and mix.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture.
- Mix well, but don’t over mix so that you don’t get a hard muffin.
- Add muffin sleeves into the muffin pan, and spray each one.
- Pour mixture into the cups, and bake for 20-25 minutes.
So, check out the video above to find out how to make your new go-to breakfast snack!