This pasta with salmon recipe from my book is a balanced dish to help you control your blood sugar levels and reach your weight goals.
I’m excited to share a recipe from my NEW book, Prediabetes Weight Loss Solution: Reverse Your Diagnosis and Reclaim Your Health. More than 1 in 3 Americans has prediabetes. And of those with prediabetes, more than 80% don’t know they have it. 80%.
If you have been diagnosed with prediabetes, or know someone who has, this is the new go-to resource to reduce risk of diabetes with a complete weight loss plan and 50+ recipes.
Why I Wrote the Book
Well after 20 years of counseling people for weight loss, I’ve seen time and time again that one of the biggest barriers they have is insulin resistance. When you have prediabetes, your body doesn’t metabolize glucose correctly.
This leads to fat gain, and the more fat you have around your waistline, the more insulin resistant you become. This then makes it more difficult to lose weight, and it’s a vicious cycle. So, it’s important to understand the basics, like macronutrient composition, and build from there.
Why I Love This Pasta With Salmon
I love this recipe because in just 1¼ cups and for less than 340 calories you get 28 grams of protein, 6g of fiber, and less than 40g of carbs for blood sugar management.
Recipes like this can help you take control of your blood sugar and take the right steps to address your insulin resistance.
- Large pot
- Baking sheet
- Medium skillet
- 8 ounces high-fiber high-protein fusilli pasta
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 pound skinless salmon fillet
- 1 teaspoon sea salt divided
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow or red onion sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 pound frozen broccoli florets thawed
- 1½ cup Greek yogurt 2 percent, plain
- ¾ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon capers
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Cook the pasta according to package instructions until al dente, about 12 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Cover a baking sheet with foil and spray it with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the salmon on the baking sheet and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon of salt.
- Bake for 12 minutes, or until the fish flakes when pressed with a fork. Cut the salmon into 2-inch cubes and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion and garlic for about 3 minutes until softened.
- Add the broccoli, yogurt, broth, lemon juice, mustard, capers, remaining ½ teaspoon of salt, and pepper, and cook for 5 minutes until warmed through.
- Add the fusilli, salmon, and parsley and cook for another 2 minutes, tossing to combine.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Take charge of your prediabetes with Prediabetes Weight Loss Solution. Available on Amazon, with a release date of May 17, 2022.
Learn more about my other 7 books for your health goals.