Disclosure: This post is sponsored by the Egg Nutrition Center. As always, all opinions are my own.
Did you know, eggs not only fit, but serve an integral role in a plant-forward eating plan? And, actually, there is no “official” definition of the term “plant-based diet.” I define “plant-based” as a style of eating that includes more plant foods like fruits, vegetables and whole grains, but does not require cutting out all meat and animal products like eggs and dairy. In fact, removing these foods from your diet could mean not getting enough nutrients like vitamin B12, calcium, vitamin D, omega-3s, iron and protein. And these are key nutrients that the body needs to support vital functions such as blood flow, bone health and brain integrity.
Now that I’ve covered the fact that “plant-based” doesn’t mean “only plants,” here’s a delicious and nutritious dish that includes one of my favorite ingredients – eggs! This recipe takes colorful bell peppers and stuffs them with a mixture of vegetables, cheese, and eggs, then bakes them to perfection! Watch the video below to learn how to make my Primavera Egg Stuffed Bell Peppers.
Eggs are a delicious complement to a plant-based eating pattern as they can help you consume more vegetables. Eggs can also help you better absorb the fat-soluble vitamins and antioxidants found in plant foods such as vitamin E and carotenoids. And, of course, pairing plant foods with high-quality protein foods – like eggs – can help meet daily protein needs to support healthy muscles and strong bones, plus help achieve optimal vitamin and mineral intake to keep your body running the way it should.
Primavera Egg Stuffed Bell PeppersPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 2 cups sliced crimini mushrooms
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halves
- 8 large eggs
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 zucchini 6″ diced
- 4 green onions white and green parts sliced
- 3 ounces parmesan cheese shredded
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeño pepper diced
- 6 bell peppers large, colorful, tops cut off
- Set oven to 450 degrees F.
- Heat up the oil in a frying pan.
- When hot, sauté the onions, mushrooms, and cherry tomatoes.
- Sauté for 4-5 minutes, then set aside to cool down.
- Crack eggs in a medium bowl.
- Add the sea salt, black pepper, and garlic powder to the eggs, and mix well.
- In a large bowl, combine the zucchini, parmesan cheese, jalapeno peppers, green onions, and cilantro.
- Add the sauté and the eggs to the large bowl.
- Divide mixture into the bell peppers.
- Cover baking dish with aluminum foil, and bake for 50 minutes.