Many people wonder “does pasta make you gain weight?” so I’m here to bust some common myths and show you how pasta can be a part of any weight loss plan.
These are some of my key dietitian tips from my experience working with clients for over 20 years. You’ll also see how to put together an easy high protein pasta dish that can work with any weight loss plan.
Two questions I get all the time are:
- Does pasta make you gain weight?
- What is the best pasta for weight loss?
So let’s take a closer look at both.
Does Pasta Make You Gain Weight?
The important thing to remember is that eating anything in excess can make you gain weight. So as much as pasta can be a nutritious choice, it can do the same thing.
However, you CAN enjoy it as part of your weekly meals without getting thrown off track or gaining weight. Pasta won’t make you gain weight if you pay attention to portion size and a balance of the macronutrients in the dish.
What is the Best Pasta for Weight Loss?
To choose the best pasta for weight loss you want to look for a few key things:
- Focus on high protein (5 grams or more) and high fiber options (5g or more).
- Choosing legume-based pastas such as chickpea and lentil pasta will meet these targets. They have higher protein and fiber than regular pasta, and can help control blood sugar and hunger.
- Keep the serving size to 2 oz uncooked for females (which is about ½ cup – 1 cup cooked) and 4 oz for active males (about 1 – 1½ cups cooked)
- Choose whole grain over white pasta for added fiber and nutrients
- Add in an additions protein source and extra veggies
Example of a Pasta Dish for Weight Loss
So here is an easy pasta meal that hits all of the nutrition targets that can be put together with minimal effort. You can make this for one, two, or several people!
You will need:
- High protein, high fiber pasta (ie. chickpea pasta, lentil pasta, etc.)
- Cooked broccoli
- Pasta sauce (look for one with <3g of added sugar)
- Dried spices
- Trader Joe’s frozen turkey meatballs
This meal hits all of the targets with protein, fiber, and vegetables. When you want to eat well but don’t know what to make, use this as a Plan B to stay on track!
Additional Guidance for Weight Loss
If you’re looking for additional guidance for weight loss, schedule a free 20 minute call to discuss how my individualized weight loss program can work for you.