Can you believe that the big day is less than 48 hours away? Since most of us are scrambling to put it all together at this point, now would be a great time to review some simple guidelines you can follow in order to not end up overeating before the holiday even gets here. Follow these tips and when the festivities begin, you’ll be able to enjoy the treats of the season in moderation without feeling deprived or guilty about enjoying your favorite foods.
- Eat breakfast today (and every day) within one hour of getting up.
- Have healthy snacks on hand to keep your hunger satisfied and to prevent overeating.
- Eat a light meal before attending any parties or dinners to avoid overdoing it.
- Practice portion control and moderation. It’s about quality, not quantity!
- If you’re invited somewhere, suggest bringing your own dish to cut down on fat and calories.
- If you’re having the get-together at your place, make sure each guest goes home with plenty of goodies. Share to lose weight!
As far as navigating the holiday table goes, just remember to keep your portions under control, especially for those higher-fat and calorie-rich foods such as fatty meats, cream sauces and gravies, as well as full-fat dairy products (which are often hiding in side dishes like mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, and macaroni and cheese). This also includes dessert items such as cakes, pies, and puddings, and even alcoholic beverages.
It may sound like a lot to remember, but if you just keep your serving sizes small when eating these kinds of foods, you can enjoy all of the fabulous treats of the season without any of the guilt!
To Do Today:
- Try to slow it down a little bit so that you can enjoy the holiday before it’s over. Prepare for the big day now so that you can spend Christmas with those you care about!