Did you know burger patties can be healthy too? Here I have created a chicken patty that infuses the flavors of Peru with sautéed cilantro, tomato, garlic, and onion. Delish! In this case, I used Canola oil for its neutral taste to keep my Latin flavors present, as well as for its high heat tolerance. Aside from keeping the Latin flavors going, you can also get a health kick for being low in saturated fats and a burst of omega-3 fats and is a good source of vitamin E.
The cilantro provides various minerals such as potassium, calcium, manganese, iron, and magnesium. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps control heart rate and blood pressure. Iron is essential for red blood cell production. Manganese is used by the body as a co-factor for the antioxidant enzyme, superoxide dismutase. Superoxide dismutase is an enzyme that repairs cells and reduces the cellular damage caused by the most common free radical in the body- superoxide. This enzyme acts as an vital antioxidant defense mechanism by reducing inflammation and increasing longevity. Talk about cilantro being an anti-aging superfood!
These chicken patties can be served on top of mixed greens for a yet light, heart-healthy meal or paired with your choice of veggies and grains for a complete and simple dinner.
Makes 4 patties
1 tablespoon Canola oil
1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
2 small tomatoes, diced
1 pound ground chicken
- Heat the Canola oil in a medium-size sauté pan over medium heat. When hot, add the onion. Once the onion starts to soften, add the garlic,tomatoes, and cilantro. Sauté until fragrant.
- Place ground chicken in a medium-sized mixing bowl and add saute mix. Stir until evenly combined.
- Divide the mixture into four equal lightly-flattened patties.
- Spray griddle or saute pan with a thin layer of oil. Place each portion of chicken on surface, about a ½ inch thick. Flatten patties to desired thickness.
- Cook each side for five minutes or until cooked thoroughly.
Note: Chicken patties will keep in the refrigerator for five days.