This is the perfect seasonal vegan stew. Enjoy on a cold day for lunch or dinner. The stew keeps well, making for delicious leftovers any day of the week.
2 eggplants, squared
2 blocks firm tofu, cut into 1-square inch cubes
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, sliced
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 carrot, chopped
2 celery sticks, sliced
1 teaspoon cumin
1 cup red wine
2 cups vegetable broth
1 can (16 oz.) Garbanzo beans
1 handful of basil, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
- As the oven is preheating, cut eggplant and tofu in squares and spread out onto roasting pan. coat the eggplant and tofu in cooking spray and salt.
- Once oven is preheated, roast the eggplant and tofu for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion and garlic. Sauté for one minute.
- Stir in the carrot, celery, and cumin, and cook until soft and fragrant.
- Add the red wine, vegetable broth, garbanzo beans, and basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir the roasted eggplant and tofu squares into the sauté mix. Reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook uncovered for 30 minutes making sure to stir the pot ever few minutes.
- Serve with your favorite whole grain such as brown rice, quinoa, or farro, and enjoy!