Makes 6 patties
½ cup tri-color quinoa, dry
1 cup water
1 can cannellini beans, well drained
1 Tablespoon olive oil
½ onion, chopped
1 cloves garlic, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 tablespoon cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
2-quart saucepot with lid
Medium sauté pan
Spatula or wooden spoon
To cook the quinoa:
- Bring ½ cup dried quinoa and 1 cup of water to a boil in a 2-quart saucepot.
- When the water begins to boil, cover pot and reduce heat to low. Cook quinoa until tender and most of the water has been absorbed, 15-20 minutes.
- When done, remove from heat and let stand, covered for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
To make the burger patties:
- Drain 1 can of cannellini beans and place in food processor. Process until very smooth. Remove bean puree and place in a medium bowl with 1 cup cooked quinoa. Set aside.
- Place 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a medium sauté pan over medium-low heat. When the oil is hot, add onion, garlic and carrot. Saute until soft, fragrant and lightly browned. Let cool.
- Place sautéed vegetable mixture in food processor and process until course. Add vegetable mixture to the bowl with the quinoa and bean puree. Mix to combine.
- Flavor mixture with 1 Tablespoon cumin and salt and pepper to taste.
- Using lightly oiled hands, form the mixture into 6 burger patties.
- Heat a 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. When oil is hot, pan fry patties, 3 at a time until golden on each side. Enjoy.