My motto is “you don’t have to kill flavor for health, you can have both a flavorful and healthy meal at the same time.” One way I do that is by using different spices. So, I have partnered with McCormick and their Everyday 10 Spices to show you how to make a top notch meal that explodes with flavor and that is easy to prepare.
Using spices can help reduce the use of salt and fat, while enhancing the taste of your dishes. You can also explore new flavors by adding them to vegetables for some exciting, healthy side dishes. Today, I am making a mouthwatering Garbanzo Stir fry using six McCormick spices: turmeric, cumin, black pepper, cilantro, garlic and chili powders. This dish can be enjoyed by the entire family.
For those that have hectic schedules, I recommend using the weekend for some meal planning. Pick one day out of the weekend and make this recipe. Then, assemble different meals during the week such as creating a fantastic vegetarian lunch by combining it with quinoa or brown rice for meatless Monday. You can also use it with scrambled eggs for Tuesday breakfast or pair it with your favorite lean meat on a Wednesday night. Now, let’s get cooking.
Garbanzo Stir Fry
Serves: 8 Serving Size: 1 cup
Reboot Servings: 1.3 Grains & Starches, 1 Non-Starchy Vegetable, 1 Meat & Vegetarian Meat, 0.6 Fat
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 large red onion, cut into strips
3 bell peppers, cut into strips (green, yellow and orange)
3 cans (15 ounces each) garbanzo beans, drained
½ teaspoon McCormick garlic powder
½ teaspoon McCormick chili powder
1 teaspoon McCormick ground cumin
1 teaspoon McCormick ground turmeric
1 tablespoon McCormick cilantro
1 teaspoon McCormick black pepper
1 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 tomatoes, cut into strips
- Heat up a large sauté pan or wok over high heat for 1-2 minutes. Add the oil, onions, and bell peppers. Stir and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add the garbanzo beans and stir. Stir and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, turmeric, cilantro, and black pepper. Stir and make sure all the spices are well mixed.
- Add the vinegar and soy sauce to the pan. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato and cook 1 to 2 minutes longer.
- Garbanzo stir fry will keep in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.