This easy to make and delicious chicken soup will rock your soul and it is perfect for the cold and flue season. Using ginger and cilantro to help boost your immune system and providing an outstanding flavor.
Serves: 8 Serving Size: 2 1/2 cups
Reboot Servings: 0.7 Grains & Starches, 0.7 Non-Starchy Vegetables, 3 Meats, 1 Fat
1 whole chicken
10 cups water
1 2-inches ginger knob, sliced
1 cup carrots, sliced
1 cup celery, sliced
1 red onion, quartered
1 cup farro (or brown rice)
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
salt, pepper to taste
- Remove the skin from the whole chicken. Make sure to cut the chicken breast in half. In total, you should have 8 pieces which include two drumsticks, two thighs and four chicken breasts. Wings are optional to keep.
- In a large soup pot put the chicken, ginger, carrots, celery, onion and farro.
- Heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 45 minutes or until the chicken meat falls off of the bones (skim off foam every so often).
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once soup is ready, throw in the cilantro.