It’s time to get cozy by the fire with this amazing featured recipe, Hearty Tomato-Lentil Soup, from Toby Amidor’s new cookbook.
The holidays are officially in FULL swing, which means it’s time to give your immune system some extra love and attention! The good news is that my friend and colleague, Toby Amidor, MS, RD, CDN just released her new book that can help you do just that.
In her family-friendly book, The Family Immunity Cookbook: 101 Easy Recipes to Boost Health, she includes 25 of the top immune-boosting foods, incorporated into 101 delicious recipes.
As a fun sneak peek of what you’ll find in the book, I wanted to show you how to make one of her amazing recipes. Her Hearty Lentil-Tomato Soup is full of flavor and immune-boosting plant-based ingredients like red lentils, tomato purée, cumin, celery, carrots, garlic and more. Plus, it’s a simple meal to make once and enjoy several times during the crazy holiday weeks.
- Large pot
- 2 tbsp 30 mL olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 2 carrots shredded
- 1 tsp 5 mL ground cumin
- ½ tsp 2 mL ground turmeric
- ½ tsp 2 mL ground ginger
- ⅛ tsp 0.5 mL hot pepper flakes
- 3 cups 750 mL tomato purée
- 3 cups 750 mL low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup 250 mL water
- 1 cup 250 mL dried red lentils
- ¾ tsp 3 mL salt
- ¼ tsp 1 mL ground black pepper
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the onion and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and continue cooking until fragrant, an additional 30 seconds.
- Add the celery and carrots and continue cooking until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the cumin, turmeric, ginger and hot pepper flakes to the pot, and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato purée, vegetable broth, water and lentils, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- When the mixture is boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until lentils are soft and the flavors combine, about 40 minutes.
- Stir in the salt and black pepper.
- Ladle 1 1/4 cup (300 mL) of soup into each of six soup bowls. Serve warm
Grab your own copy of The Family Immunity Cookbook: 101 Easy Recipes to Boost Health.