Does sleeping really help you lose weight?

How does one achieve optimal weight loss?  Most would respond “restricting and exercise.”

In weight loss, restricting and overstressing your body is the problem.  Often, the lack of eating and self-care are the true culprits.  Eating Free™ encourages eating whole, quality foods and eating what you enjoy but weight loss is not just about food or calories. Eating Free™ also focuses on self-care, an important component of weight loss often overlooked.  A change in diet can only come about with a change in lifestyle.  In Eating Free, change starts with one’s FreeQ™.  Sleep is an ingredient of the FreeQ and is a critical component for your weight loss plan.

Are you getting enough sleep?

Set a Sleep Goal

Lack of sleep has been shown to increase weight.  The Los Angeles Times just had an article describing the importance of sleep for weight loss.  Studies have shown that those who sleep less than 5 hours per night have a 73% chance of becoming obese and those who sleep 6 hours per night have 27% more likelihood of becoming obese.  Those who sleep least, weigh the most!

Tips for Better Sleep

  • Maintain a regular bed and wake time schedule, including weekends
  • Establish a relaxing bedtime routine – soak in a bath, read, or listen to soothing music.
  • Create a healthy sleep environment – find out which bedroom conditions are most comfortable for you.  A cool, dark, quiet room will decrease sleep interruptions for a better night’s sleep.
  • Sleep on a comfortable mattress with supportive pillows – this is essential for sleep.
  • Keep the television, work, computer, and other distracting things out of the bedroom.
  • Avoid caffeine in the evening and before bedtime – coffee, tea, and soft drinks which have caffeine may interfere with getting enough sleep.

Share this post

my 10 biggest secrets for weight loss

Get your FREE download with ongoing weekly weight loss tips and recipes.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.