This blog post was created in partnership with Unilever.
Sometimes, it can be difficult to create a recipe that meets the three most important cooking qualities: easy, delicious and nutritious. I am very excited to work with Hellmann’s® so that I can give you just that: a recipe that gives you all three.
I have developed a recipe called Creamy Tri-colored Potato Salad with Avocado. This recipe is easy to make, delicious and is perfect for almost any occasion like your next picnic, BBQ or pool party.
This recipe uses boiled tri-colored potatoes. Despite what you may have heard, you can include potatoes in a balanced and healthy diet! They are a starchy vegetable, but are a good source of vitamin C, potassium and fiber. Eating a variety of colors of fruits and vegetables ensure you are getting varying amounts of different phytonutrients such as carotenoids and anthocyanins which are good for overall health. That being said, tri-colored potatoes provide a variety of nutrients in just one serving.
A potato salad isn’t a potato salad if it isn’t deliciously rich and creamy. The secret to that creaminess in this recipe is Hellmann’s® Avocado Oil Mayonnaise Dressing. This mayonnaise has quality ingredients such as 100% cage free eggs and quality sourced oils from trusted American farms. You may also think you can only get essential heart-healthy Omega-3’s from fish, but you should know that this mayonnaise dressing is also high in Omega-3 Alpha-linolenic acid and contains 320mg of ALA per serving, which is 20% of 1.6g daily value. Also, it is high in vitamin E, with 30% less fat and calories than Hellmann’s® Real Mayonnaise.
Is your mouth watering yet? If so, you can find the full recipe below to get started making your own healthy and delicious summer meal.
Creamy Tri-colored Potato Salad with Avocado
Serving size: 1 cup
3 lb. tri-colored potatoes
? cup red onion, diced
4 stalks celery, thinly sliced
4 green scallions, thinly sliced
? cup cilantro, chopped
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
½ cup Hellmann’s® Avocado Oil Mayonnaise Dressing
¼ cup non-fat Greek yogurt, plain
1 avocado, chunks
Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and place potatoes in a large stock pot. Add enough water to the pot so that the potatoes are submerged under two inches of water. Bring water to a boil and cook potatoes until tender. When potatoes can be easily pierced with a sharp knife, remove then one-by one and place them in a colander to cool.
- In the meantime, place red onion, celery, scallions, cilantro and vinegar in a bowl and set aside.
- Once the potatoes are completely cool, cut them into one-inch chunks. Add potatoes to the large mixing bowl along with the vinegar mixture.
- Add the Hellmann’s® Avocado Oil Mayonnaise Dressing and yogurt to the bowl. Mix well to combine.
- Add chunks of the avocado mixing lightly to not smash the avocado chunks.
- Season potato salad with salt and pepper to taste.