Whether you go to school or to work, I recommend starting your day with a solid and balanced breakfast that not only gives you a good amount of protein but also a dose of probiotics and good fats.
I have partnered with Green Valley Creamery, whose full line of dairy products is lactose free, to provide you with a quick, delicious and nutritious breakfast idea that your entire family will love. This recipe is Yogurt Walnut Fig Bread. This bread is nutritious, hearty and can also be used for any other occasion such as your afternoon snack or as a pre-fuel for your workouts. With the holidays coming soon, not only does this bread have all of the holiday flavors you’re craving for this time of year, it’s a warming treat that’s perfect for the fall and winter months that are upon us.
For this bread, I used Green Valley Creamery yogurt. This yogurt works well in many cooking and baking applications and can be used in recipes as a lactose-free substitute for milk, creams and oil. Some people get intimidated by baking either because they think they lack the skills or the time or both. However, rest assured, this bread is both delicious and easy to make as you can see in the video above.
You will invest about an hour of your time during the weekend preparing the bread. Then all you have to do is assemble it into a nutritious breakfast in less than 5 min during your busy weekdays.
Now, for breakfast, I suggest having a slice of this delicious bread with cream cheese and a glass of kefir. Green Valley Creamery’s kefir offers plain, strawberry and blueberry flavors with all the healthful nutrition of cultured dairy, including billions of probiotics in every serving to keep your gut healthy.
1 ¼ cup Green Valley Creamery low fat plain yogurt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
½ cup coconut sugar
1 cup cooked quinoa
½ cup chopped dried figs
½ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder sea salt and the sugar into a small bowl. Set aside.
- Add the Green Valley Creamery low fat plain yogurt, eggs, vanilla extract into a large bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Gently whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Add the quinoa, the dried figs and walnuts into the mix.
- Spray a 9-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. Add the batter and place in the oven on the middle rack. Bake for 65 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick placed into the center comes out clean.