This combination of meat sauce and polenta is always a favorite of mine. The best part is that it can be done ahead of time and reheated during the week for a quick dinner or for a simple lunch.
Serving Size: 4 slices polenta and 1 cup sauce
Reboot Servings: Grains & Starches: 1.70, Non-Starchy Vegetables: 4.00, Meat: 5.30, Fat: 2.00
Ingredients for Meat Sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 pound ground beef, 4-7 % fat
1 16-oz can tomato sauce
1 6-oz can tomato paste
1 tablespoon oregano
Directions for Meat Sauce
- Heat up a medium sauce pan on medium heat. Add the oil and let it heat up for 1 minute. Add the onion and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Add the ground beef and cook until the meat is brown. Make sure to stir around and break apart the meat. Do not let it form into chunks.
- Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste and oregano. Cook for 20-30 minutes.
Polenta can take a long time to make, but purchasing the precooked rolls from your supermarket can save you some time. You can prepare the roasted polenta cakes while the meat sauce is already cooking.
Ingredients for Roasted Polenta
1 roll precooked Polenta, sliced into 1/2 inch slices
cooking oil spray
salt, to taste
garlic powder, to taste
Directions for Roasted Polenta
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray a 9×9 sheet pan with your preferred cooking oil spray. Place the polenta slices on the sheet try and sprinkle with salt and garlic powder.
- Place in the oven and let it cook for about 20-25 minutes.